Here you will find Kate's photos and brain space. Mind the gap.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Few things are as satisfying as an awesome weekend.

Friday afternoon kicked off the weekend with great mail. I got a hilarious letter from a friend in Oregon (which is really really far away when I think about it!) and a card from my family. All of my family had gotten together a few weeks ago and it was sad that I wasn't there! But they all signed a card and my nephews drew me pictures (one was a whale and the other two were unidentifyable) and it was awesome. Also my mom drew pictures of my fish who said hi. My family is super-cool.

I got kidnapped by my roommate Emily and friend Nanda . . .

. . . and taken to the McFly concert at Delaney's, McFly being an 80s cover band and we all know nothing is better than the 80s. Delaney's is the home of Sunday night trivia (which I'm ditching tonight, shhh) and calculations indicate that after school and home, I spend most of my Columbia life there. The night ended with pizza and sleep and waking up Saturday at a vaguely decent hour.

Saturday I watched a lot of TV. And did laundry. And read for accounting. Also received an unexpected refund check from my doctor in Boulder. Woohoo! Then today I ran errands and did more homework and watched more TV. It. was. AWESOME!

The greatness is that we are only in 3 classes right now, which is really nice. Especially since I totally ignore one of them (yes, it's decision analysis). It is so crazy to believe that this is my life now. Student life is so strange, where my days are devoted to reading and writing and listening to people talk. Meanwhile we're living off loans and most of your spare time is spent with even more reading. We're not making any valuable contribution to society. I got so sick of that feeling in undergrad which was reason #64 why I could never have gone straight into grad school. Meanwhile I can't believe that this is one month down out of 2 years... it's going to be like this for a long, long time.

There are so many aspects to my disbelief that this is my life. Sometimes I narrate things just so they feel more real (less real? who even knows). "I'm a graduate student. I'm in South Carolina. I'm studying accounting. Duuuude." And things are going to be even stranger from here on out. In January I will be in Mexico (wha?) and after that I have no idea! But I'll be hanging out probably in another hemisphere, living in another language. As bizarre as that is, it's not like I haven't done something similar before, and don't think that doesn't blow my mind. Then I'll be back and then potentially gone again, studying abroad. So while I knew all this before, it is totally bizarre that it is now my reality. I'm in total denial. The good news is this is so obviously the right thing. I complain about school and about the debt and about having no life, and I'm really not interested in accounting, but also everything is as it should be.

There was going to be more but I got distracted. :) So, the end.

3 Comments:

Blogger NandaAnn said...

LOVE the million $ smiles!!! aren't you glad we made you go out!?

11:07 PM

 
Blogger Kate said...

It was awesome! And we were so cute.

12:56 PM

 
Blogger Christopher said...

I feel blessed to be in the presence of so many lovely ladies. Y'all rock!!

8:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home